Ever since I became an Indian born Canadian the following are some of the issues I have had to deal with…..
1) Festivals that I used to take for granted in India are now obscure concepts (Diwali, Holi, Dushera etc.)
2) Having deep conversations with my 4 year old on why she is brown and not white.
3) Having to sit through parties and listen to recently returned Can-Indians praise on and on about the growth in India and then be told by the same people on a one to one basis on how much India actually sucks (electricity disruptions, water disruptions, corruption etc.)
4) Having to see my child give me a quizzical look when she is speaking to her grandparents in India.
5) Having to hear a pathetic drugged white pan handler give me a scolding on how I am taking his job away and how I have to shut up because that person just may have a weapon on him.
6) Having to deal with only 3 weeks holiday instead of 5 weeks.
7) Having to explain to visitors to Canada why Tim Horton’s coffee, for it’s price, is the best in the world.
8 ) Having to shovel snow.
9) Having to go to a job where I know I can do much more for the company than my boss ever can. But since I really don’t have requisite “Canadian experience”, I have to take what I can.
10) Having to explain to jerks over and over again to why Cricket is an exciting sport with lots of action in it. Of course, right after such a conversation, the jerks go into a detailed analysis of the latest golf tournament!! Go figure.